Saturday, October 9, 2010

Bareback Junior

I went to the school barns today to see Junior and ride, but I was dehydrated and didn't feel wonderful. Instead of an awesome work out like yesterday's (omg it was great) I decided to try riding him bareback. This was helped by the fact that I didn't see any of the guys who live on the farm there. So I walked him up to a mounting block, laid over him, then hopped on and we walked off. He thought we might trot, but I quickly said its fine we can walk, so we never tried anything else. I freaked out Alyx the gal who is taking over classes. She was surprised I was that trusting when I wasn't feeling great. I figured I was going to just walk and if he did something stupid I could always slip off easily enough and be fine.

During fall break I got on both our younger guys out in the field without even a halter and I slipped off both before I died. Nice thing about the green broke horses is they're so nice and trusting and opinionated.

Also, I think I impressed my instructor, Don the other day. I proved that the little english girl didn't have a fear in the world about running my horse into the wall at a hand gallop. I could call Junior's canter, a canter, but at that point is was definitely more of a hand gallop... He said left, I said right and that all equals straight! So we went straight until the last minute when he turned right. I also use to tree Speedy. It was funny. He'd go running off with me and I'd just keep forcing him to go into a tree. He'd almost hit it, then we'd either circle it or move to another one near by to circle. He usually didn't circle too long before he finally just stopped.

Trees, walls, boulders (like bigger then the horse) are all such great stopping tools.

I'm hopping on Monday to get to take Junior outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment